Canadians get cool by the pool: BBM Media Snapshot
And swimming pool owners drank 50% more beer on average than non-pool owners in the past seven days.
Whether sparked by global warming or spreading affluence, 900,000 (3%) Canadians purchased an above- or in-ground pool in the past two years. Here are some consumer insights about them.
• New Canadian pool owners are 4 times more likely than average Canadians to have quit smoking in the past 2 years.
• One reason they may have stopped smoking is that they are also 3 times more likely to have had a child born or adopted into the household in the past 2 years.
• This group is 3.2 times more likely than average Canadians to have spent $500 or more on children’s clothes in the past year.
• They have fun in the sun when they travel, as they’re 2 times more likely than average Canadians to have visited the Caribbean or Hawaii in the past 3 years.
• New pool owners also like new technology; they’re 3.7 times more likely than average Canadians to have a wireless home network, and 3 times more likely to use a quick pay card at a gas station.
• This group’s fondness for water extends to their pets, as they’re 2.7 times more likely than average Canadians to have fish as pets.
• The top 3 media by yesterday exposure for Canadians who purchased an above or in-ground pool in the past 2 years are: TV (87%), radio (82%), and Internet (63%).
• News/Talk (33%), Adult Contemporary (28%), and Hot Adult Contemporary (18%) are the top 3 formats by weekly radio reach for this group.
• These new pool owners have Movies (58%), News/Current affairs (54%), and Suspense/Dramas (39%) as the top 3 television program types they watched in an average week.
Source:BBM RTS Canada, Spring 2007, Individuals 12+. The preceding information is from BBM RTS, a syndicated consumer-media survey of over 64,000 Canadians, conducted twice a year by BBM Analytics. For more information, contact Andrew Currie: email@example.com.