Globalive talks candidly with Canadians

Wind Mobile isn't yet allowed to operate in Canada, but Globalive's wireless brand has still launched its print and online video 'pro-competition' campaign.

Last month’s CRTC ruling that blocked Globalive’s bid to operate in Canada isn’t stopping its wireless brand, Wind Mobile, from launching its print and video campaign this week. Chris Robbins, chief commercial officer, Wind Mobile, says they want to put forth a ‘balanced narrative’ to all consumers who would benefit from increased competition, while continuing to define themselves as a brand.

‘It’s more about awareness,’ Robbins told MiC. ‘For us it’s been very much about having a conversation with customers. This is just a continuation of that.’

Launched on Saturday across Canada in newspapers and online, the campaign is an extension of the viral video series the brand put online earlier this fall. Created by Wind Mobile’s AOR Clean Sheet with media handled by Starcom MediaVest Group, the candid camera-style videos depict people in ridiculous purchasing situations. The print ads, featuring pro-competition text, are running in publications like the Calgary Herald, National Post, Globe and Mail and Ottawa Citizen, as well as online on, Olive Network, BBC and Metro News.

Although the campaign has gone ahead as planned, Globalive is essentially stuck in business limbo as federal Minister of Industry Tony Clement decides whether or not to overturn the CRTC’s ruling that Globalive’s Canadian operation violates foreign ownership rules. A decision is expected soon, but Robbins says this campaign is more about providing the public with facts, not about the services it may or may not provide.

‘If this was about our propositions or services or just focused on us, then yeah, potentially it’d be a waste. But if people are going to be reading stuff, even if they’re not necessarily involved in the primary decision, they should have the facts on the table,’ Robbins says.