SaltWire’s dailies will no longer print Monday editions

The decision will affect The Chronicle Herald, The Cape Breton Post, The Guardian and The Telegram.

After the news last month that several of Postmedia’s newspapers will cancel their Monday print editions, SaltWire Network has now announced in a press release that it will also cease publishing print newspapers on Mondays, effective Oct. 17.

The decision impacts the company’s four daily news publications: The Chronicle Herald in Halifax, The Cape Breton Post in Sydney, N.S., The Guardian in Charlottetown, P.E.I., and The Telegram in St. John’s.

According to News Media Canada’s industry database, SaltWire’s daily newspapers had a circulation of just under 653,000 in 2021.

In an interview published to the SaltWire Network, chief operating officer Ian Scott said the change was influenced by the inflation affecting print operations, as well as the rising fuel costs associated with transportation and delivery. He added that Monday print editions had the lowest circulation and generated the least amount of advertising revenue.

However, Scott also said that staffing levels will remain unchanged, and that it will focus more on content and less on its “most expensive channel for distribution.” He added digital editions will still be published on Monday, and there are plans to expand the weekend editions.

SaltWire.com and mobile apps will continue to offer unlimited digital access to members.