OMD, GroupM leading in global billings: report

In its annual report, ComVergence shows GroupM and its agencies lead in many categories, but growth is slowing.
CarpathianPrince /

OMD made the most in billings of all media agencies around the world this year.

That’s according to the year-end reportĀ  by France analytics firm ComVergence, which measures agency activity such as revenue, mergers, acquisitions, wins and retentions. Its 2018 estimates put the Omnicom Media Group agency at the top, with US$18.3 billion and a 6.3% market share among all agencies.

OMD was followed by GroupM’s Mindshare, which billed a total of $16.6 billion and has a market share of 5.7%.

All of the top-five global agencies have outposts in Canada. Coming in behind Mindshare is Dentsu Aegis’ Carat, with $14.6 billion in billings ant a 5% market share; Starcom came in fourth with $126 billion and a 4.3% market share. Rounding out the top-five was GroupM’s Wavemaker with $12.4 billion and a 4.3% market share.

For agency group, WPP’s GroupM comes out on top, with $45.1 billion in total billings and a 15.5% market share. Although GroupM led the groups in billings, holding co WPP is currently bracing for a global restructuring which will see 3,500 jobs cut and numerous offices closed or consolidated.

GroupM was followed by Publicis ($33.6 billion and an 11.6% market share), Omnicom ($31.8 billion, 10.9% market share), Dentsu Aegis Network ($21.6 billion, 7.4% market share), IPG’s Mediabrands ($16.5 billion, 5.7% market share) and Havas Media Group ($7.9 billion, 2.7% market share).

Despite leading among individual agencies, Wavemaker and Mindshare are among the three individual agencies to post the biggest slowdowns in growth, with Wavemaker seeing a 4.4% reduction in growth rate from 2017, and Mindshare seeing a 4.6% reduction. The biggest loss, however, went to Publicis Media’s Blue 449 (13.9%). Overall, GroupM saw growth slow by 1.3%, making it the only group of the “big six” to record negative growth.

Among the fastest-growing individual agencies were Vizeum (23.5%), Dentsu X (21.7%) and Initiative (11.5%).

ComVergence also estimates that the “big six” holding co networks have a 54% share of global media spend, a total of $290 billion. The remaining 46% is handled either by independent agencies or in-house. The most prolific independent agency recorded is Horizon Media; measured in its home country of the U.S., Horizon took in $7.2 billion in billings. In the U.S., Horizon was the second-most active individual agency next to OMD. Details on the Canadian performance of Horizon and others will be released in February.